The Climate Ambassador Program is an initiative to educate, engage and empower young people on Cape Cod to work together to combat climate change. The Program is intended for students in grades 9-12 who would like to develop a better understanding of climate change, learn how to communicate effectively about climate, and learn what actions can be taken individually and collectively to bring about change. Selected students will participate in sessions, where they will learn about and discuss a variety of climate-related subjects, including local and global climate causes and impacts, carbon reduction strategies, resiliency planning, and equity considerations. Students will have a chance to show off their creativity with a small project demonstrating how they can have a personal impact on climate change at home or in their school communities.
Who is Eligible?
Students enrolled in Cape and Islands schools in grades 9 through 12 are eligible to apply for the Cape Cod Commission's Climate Ambassador program. No prior climate education or experience is required!
How to Apply
Interested students will need to submit an online application and upload a reference letter from a teacher or guidance counselor that highlights why they should be considered for the program. As part of the application, students will need to share details about why they are interested in climate change and what they hope to learn or accomplish as a Climate Ambassador.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
Please note that only completed applications will be considered. This includes completing the reference letter and photo release uploads.
2023 Meeting Schedule
Anticipated meeting dates: All meetings will be held from 4:30 to 6:00 p.m. In person meetings will take place in Barnstable and will not have a virtual participation option.
- Tuesday, January 24 (in person)
- Tuesday, February 7 (virtual)
- Tuesday, February 28 (virtual)
- Tuesday, March 14 (in person)
- Tuesday, March 28 (virtual)
- Tuesday, April 11(virtual)
- Tuesday, April 25 (virtual)
- Tuesday, May 9 (in person)
We're here to help! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the Climate Ambassador Program.
Climate Ambassadors are expected to:
- Commit to attend all meetings
- Actively participate in respectful and constructive dialogue with other participants
- Participate with the use of video through the remote platform
- Come prepared, having reviewed any provided resources in advance of meetings
- Share experience in the program with supporting teacher and peers
Please Note: The Climate Ambassador Program is designed for a small group of students in grades 9-12. Selection will be based on regional geographical distribution, grade level distribution, quality of application response, and application completion.